Yesterday I had an appointment with the podiatrist and after several x-rays and an examination I was told that I do indeed need surgery to insure my broken foot has a successful recovery. Ahhh, gross. Needless to say I am totally beside myself. I truly thought I could get through life without breaking a bone or needing surgery of any kind. And now I am experiencing both horrors at once. This really hasn't been my summer. Basically the surgery will consist of a screw being drilled between the fracture in my 5th metatarsal to pull it together. I guess a very strong ligament is attached to the smaller piece of bone and it will continue to pull on it and possibly not heal correctly unless they provide it with some extra support. I also have been feeling some pain in my ankle so today I have an MRI to check out the ligaments to see if there were any tears. If they do find a tear they will also go in a fix this at the time of surgery. This means I will have a screw placed in my foot for good. oh my goodness. I really hate the idea of a foreign object being placed, rather DRILLED into my body, but I guess it could be worse. I could live in a place or time where surgery was out of the question and crutches aren't available. So I guess I should be feeling lucky that I live in such a place that such modern medical advances can heal me. And only like 4 blocks away from my apartment, which is great.
I made the mistake of trying to 'walk' home from the doctors office yesterday. I wanted to buy some milk at the grocery store just between the doc office and my place, because I needed it for coffee. Within one block I knew I had made a mistake. Although it was not too hot outside the sweat started dripping from all the pores in my body. The energy it takes to use crutches, like extended arms, they remind me of an ape - but I am not anywhere as graceful as an ape. I made it to the store and bought the smallest milk I could find. The extra weight of the small milk made my last 2 blocks miserable. I desperately wanted help, but my phone was dead so I couldn't call Brian. The only person who offered some help was some crazy man. As much as I appreciated his offer, I refused. Moments after he walked away I regretted not taking him up on his offer. Eventually I crutches home. I actually made it.
I haven't left the house since.
I need food and lots of people to tend to me. The smallest chores are now impossible without over exerting myself.
So just an update. I have another appointment today for an MRI, next Wednesday I have an appointment with the surgeon and then I will plan my surgery accordingly.
One last thing, I found this quote by Marilyn Monroe that I like
"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. "

1 comment:
I love the quote. Wish I'd been there to help you get your milk home. :) Love you!
Post a Comment